The first one is Cham Otange, the second one is Cham Othow. Please do not ask me whether I know either of them. I do, case settled! These two men have played a significant role in bringing about positive change in the history of Anyuawa. The two became friends, one from the Jor and one from the Openo, a symbiotic friendship ordained by divine providence. Despite attending school late in life, both completed only six grades. They then left school and joined the illiteracy elimination campaign of the day to provide free education to the forgotten region of Gambella. But the legend of the story I am about to tell you today would make someone frightened of the land. It is unusual, very peculiar perception of another parallel world, and as has been stated as follows: "no evil spirit can touch the land of Jor people and return safe and unharmed." Local oral traditions claim there is heavy metal called "gnoll" buried to prevent foreigners from entering Jor by the father of the land a century ago. I am not sure whether it is true, it depends on how one thinks. Metaphysics and their interpretation do not hold any appeal for me. However, I am not in the position to challenge those who believe in the mumbo-jumbo of beliefs. The story is progressing well so far. No strangers or public officials had ever come or departed safely before Cham, Cham, violated the sacred spirits of Jor, let alone insignificant wild tribal conquerors, occupiers. Legend has been told after one another that it's impossible for anyone with evil intention to enter Jor land even an inch without being faced by the paranormal forces protecting the soil of Jor land, the soil rejects all of the very tools of modernization accompanied by the forces of modernization, modern arts of technology have not been transferred to Jor. There were no schools, health clinics, telecommunications, transportation, including all modern amenities, established in this area. None! My first meeting with Cham Otange, Cham Othow was at Akwayajowk in Umedho while I was returning from Khartoum, Sudan. There were only two of them teaching so many classes stuffed with so many pupils, so I asked why they are the only ones there? My brother, no one is willing to come here, or if they do, no one is prepared to facilitate organization for them. Therefore, we are just volunteers serving a worthwhile cause. The others did not experience the same feelings as we did, if they did, they had been to other places with similar situations. Given, I think we are okay for now, I do not know how long it's going to continue this, either. The best we can do is to do whatever we can. We believe we can make a difference even if it is only a drop of water in the bucket; it might quench one soul's thirst, one at a time, which may someday translate to something much, much bigger. It was touching to see their simple, philosophical understanding of things. I have learned something new from two people who transformed the Jor Anyuawa community and brought about such a great change in the Anyuawa world. History shall not judge them negatively; history shall ink them as agents of change who brought some tools of modernity to the Jor people. While I was there, I saw Jor villages living in tranquility and with prosperity, and they lived near each other. It's a fish country, there are fish everywhere, and everywhere smell fish, everyone smells fish for someone new until they become one, "that's a joke". It's also an Opelle "taro plants "country. Furthermore, it is a bush meat country with a wide variety of animals. In front of them, I was totally lost in a pa-Anyauawa paradise, surrounded by peasant children, I couldn't comprehend what I was seeing. There are no instructional books in the classroom, there are no good blackboards for the teachers to use. It was a nothingness, not even for their students who do not have notebooks, chairs, and pencils to write on. The feeling of helplessness possessed me, and I had nothing to do to help them. Unfortunately, I can't assist their teachers either. As a sojourner, I have been away from my country for several years. I was very excited to see those peasant children, and they wanted to know more about me. There were a lot of questions they asked. I was asked where I came from, what my business I was doing there, if I was married or not, and what I liked about their village so far. My answer to most questions has been straightforward, I think they understand me well, even though the things I explained have no relevance to their lives. I can tell from their innocent wild eyes that they have a desire for education, since there are no schools built there. Though I was concerned about their plights, I also know that as one man, one voice, I could make a difference. In addition, I am a stranger to my fatherland, I knew little about my family background, I had a shallow understanding of their situation. Even so, I was inspired by those two individuals who abandoned their Goodlife in order to make a difference in the lives of the Jor people. It was hard for me to stay I said to both teachers as I had been away from my family for so long; I had to get back to them. In my heart, I promised them that I would do what I could to bring their suffering to the attention of the authorities in power. I will try, I said, even if I am unsure if I will be able to make a difference in those lives. It was my pleasure, that to meet them. However, they thought also I speak funny, like a foreigner who has learned it. Though I wasn't attracted to their locality, I like it, nonetheless. I remember those innocent eyes of the students, which ranged from young to old, were under the tutelage of those teachers, and they had never been outside of their village, why should they? It was a paradise over there for them. It could be possible that their fate is permanently tied to that place. I don't know if they wanted to leave, if they wished to change one, or if they wished to change both. Maybe they were stuck in trapped syndrome, the extreme conditioning that makes one stay in something even after being freed. It is common for such people to be raised in such a way that they have no say in who they marry, where they live, or what they want to be. The fate of those kids was determined by families, society at large. They like what they have there, and I like them as well. Things are at a standstill; they are not changing. Until Cham Otange, Cham Othow went there, introduced them to the thousand points of lights to modernity, what followed was floodgates, brought down wall by the forces of the illiteracy campaign, the thirst for knowledge, sweetness for education, learning ever-growing in those communities. I am done. "I think I need to leave,".
Even in sight my friends!!
The author of the article is Namphili Otho Gilo. He can be reached at amhare14@gmail.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment