Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Discrimination of The Villages, Rivers, Geo-Locations

A friend of a European descent who grew up in the Anyuawaland told me and my other friends one day that there are few places like Pa-Anyuawa that accommodate strangers like me with love care for others. Omara), cousin, he said, you'll never find a place like that elsewhere. Is that true? I hope he reads the story I wrote about on my blog. The Anyuawa don't discriminate against foreigners; their law doesn't even punish foreigners who were convicted but lets them go free. In their countries, kings and rulers believe foreigners are not subject to the same law as their subjects, therefore they punish their subjects harshly, let foreigners go free. At someone's house a few months ago, we had a discussion. Prior to elaborating, I should mention that we held the gathering to celebrate the fact that we had reunited after years of isolation. I never thought we would have food and drinks provided for such a splendid party. There was only one thing missing, music, but we had a good time regardless. However, as the party dragged through midnight, a heated argument broke out between participants. As usual, it was about politics, Africans love to debate African issues. Though I was not a party to the argument, one issue caught my eye. This is because I had been disregarded by other villagers even though I do not consider myself a villager. However, I do not care, because village politics are not for me. This man seemed particularly hurt; he was lashing out inappropriate verbal tirades. His counterpunches were well framed, but the people he was speaking to did not appear to be listening. You think you are relevant because of the sheer number of people you have in this country, but you are just dust blown by the wind he added in Dha Anyuawa you are just (tor). It doesn't seem that you have done any better in this country despite your quantitative numbers. You may have high numbers, but you have done nothing to improve the socioeconomic conditions in any of your villages, let alone, the entire Anyuawa (debur). A few questions were thrown at him regarding why he speaks in such a condescending manner toward them. After regaining his composure, the man said, "Look, I'm tired of you pretending to be somebody you're not." That's what makes irresponsibility so prevalent, people like you and many of them out there are nothing more than useless talkers. I wouldn't have the courage to shout about unity Anyuawakism if I were you, and none of your efforts have made a difference to the social problems of your villages. Though you have all been featured in the media talking about unity, none of you have contributed physically or financially. What a bunch of pretenders! Are you better or worse than us? Look, if I say much about myself, tomorrow you would be trying to bring my name, my reputation down, but you wouldn't be successful, even if you did. I am, however, a man of my words. My actions and accomplishments speak for themselves. That's the truth. The truth shall set me free, and I won't shirk from telling the truth. There was laughter following him. Is he funny, said another man? I consider myself to be a doer," he replied, hammering down his statement with a hammer. And he added a little nostalgic; I am among those who founded and funded the Gambella liberation movement of yesterday. The little money I had saved all went to the Gambella movement, so my house here was almost repossessed by the landlord. To refinance my shortfall, I rented the top floor of my house to some people. However, what did I gain from all this? None, I am getting called egotistical, a trumpeter of myself. If we didn't finance the movement with all logistics, and all that, what would the Gambella people movement be today? In my opinion, I have contributed to the movement. I feel proud that I have contributed something to make a difference, even with the little tribute I have done. I am part of the movement ever. I need not worry about how some people today have hijacked the history of the Gambella people movement when they weren't around when things began. During all those arguments, I kept my own considerations to myself and did not sideline anyone for any reason. It wasn’t my interest! In my opinion, the boys were right. The boy was a child when I knew him, but now he is an adult. I am not disrespecting him, but I am following my tradition. According to the Anyuawa tradition, hierarchical order must be maintained by order, age, class, title, or recognition, rewards, appointment, promotion, or demotion in order to maintain harmony and balance. As much as I care about him, it proves no one is significant. I said this with the utmost of care, knowing he is real. My homeboy was doing well and based on the things I saw while I was there, I can assure you that he wanted no one to explain anything but himself; the man had some American dreams, I could enumerate them one by one: three cars, a house, a secure job. I am not exaggerating, but it is indeed true. However, the excitement of achieving something in life also comes with the understanding that not everyone appreciates everything they have seen from someone. Therefore, hearing about someone's success can be upsetting. I'm no expert, but what can I say? There are times when I think it's good that one must express their mind, regardless of any negative perceptions that might arise. Nevertheless, one can avoid overblown friction by exercising self-restraint from controversial topics.  In the end, everything went smoothly, and everyone left in peace. Selam, Amigos! 

 The author of the article is Namphili Otho Gilo. He can be reached at amhare14@gmail.com.  

No comments:

Remembering Gonzalo Lira