I was told by Gambellan who lives in Mankato that pastor Okwier has been asking about me, that he wants to see me, and that he is disappointed in me because he hasn't seen me yet. Hearing that I was concerned, I assumed he had bad news for me from home. My heart started palpitating every day for a while. One week later, after I began transitioning into calmness, my heartbeat and throbbing stopped, and my palpitations stopped troubling me. While there is nothing to worry about at home, here in the diaspora, we worry about every single undistilled news story about worse security conditions back home. As a matter of fact, none of the news we've heard from home has been pleasing. This is a given; we can't blame ourselves for it. Perhaps pastor Okwier had no bad news, maybe he just wanted to see me, know how I was doing physically. You are fine, I said to myself, there's no need to worry. Since I had not heard of his arrival, I told the messengers I might be seeing him this weekend, if necessary, that it is possible that he would like to pass on some good news to me if he sees me, which someone else told him to pass on to me. Perhaps I will be able to see him this weekend at Boomtown bar and restaurant next weekend. Boomtown is a popular Bar and Restaurant where many Anyuaks hang out at during weekend. Pastor Okwier and I met at Boom Town one weekend, arranged by student friends who live near the University of Mankato and brought the pastor along. I thought Pastor Okwier would not recognize me, but I was wrong. After I entered the bar, walked toward him, pastor Okwier stared at my face, said hello Amhare, I replied hello pastor Okwier, we hugged, and he asked how I was. I am fine, I replied, and I asked him the same question. Thank God, Gilo, God has taken care of me very well. He asked if I recognized him, and I said yes. I would recognize your face even after a hundred years. The whole room laughed nonstop! The way I remember things is remarkable. As far as I can tell, my memory bank is still functioning smoothly and steadily. Pastor, I heard you were disappointed in me for not coming to your niece's house. Unfortunately, those messengers misunderstood what I said. I didn't mean to offend anyone. To be honest with you pastor, I live in the dormitory of the school, and I haven't interacted with the Gambellian community since I came here. As a result of self- imposed excommunication, I have voluntarily distanced myself from the group. There are no external pressures on me because I live in my own island. Due to my status as a student, I have no means of transportation. I am completely unknown to most of those people who have been visiting you there. Occasionally, I run into some of them between classes, but I'm not sure if they know my name. Also, I did not ask those I knew if they could give me a ride. Pastor, this is a small town, and everything is private. There is public transportation such as taxis and buses, but the response times to customers are not good, especially with taxis. As there are no other routes, those seeking other directions were unsuccessful, and time limits applied to their business. In any case, let me begin by wishing you a warm welcome to Mankato, Pastor Okwier. What is your impression of the city so far? He explained that your small town is different from Seattle, Washington, and even Minneapolis is too small to be comparable to Seattle. Sir, they are incomparable. I asked him how Gambella was doing putting aside all things American. Amhare, Gambella is not the Gambella you grew up in, but an abandoned orphanage without parents. As a result of the illegal settlement of the occupiers on our land, the Anyuawa have become increasingly angry at them. They have, however, been unable to fight their common enemy due to political division and polarization among themselves. The Anyuawa, are united in their tongues, but not in deeds. They are divided by villagization and regionalization. He made me more aware of what he was saying, I was very tentative this time, I am a student of history and politics, and this is what I am interested in, why, when, and how. It is essential to know the causes of historical processes and political divisions in order to understand them. To put it another way, what made these divisions emerge, and who caused them. Forests, rivers, and irridentism have been our geographical prisons. He replied, "Money" Amhare, has deculturized our very existence as a society. Amhare, the sociocultural, political, and economic system is collapsing, the politicians are doing nothing to alleviate the suffering. The anyuawa, today, Ato, Amhare, do not retaliate against any mistreatment imposed upon them by the brutal regime, and the forces bent on destroying everything they hold dear. My question to him was whether he was referring to only those at home. No, he was talking about the entire modern Anywuawa, including the overseas residents. On my first leg to North America a year ago, I saw deep rooted contradiction among the diasporas, Amhare, the contradiction, or conflict between the diasporas was like one at home. It is about reivers, forest dwellers, semidesert dwellers. And his message was one of unity and togetherness, stick together or get destroyed by your enemy, he said, to the people of Gambella who gathered around him a long time ago. In my message, I asked them to put down divisive political ideologies, concentrate on building unity among your ranks. In his explanation, he explained that we named ourselves Anyuawa because we were ancestrally linked through destiny, through culture, through marriage, and through blood. Our forefathers germinated seeds of blood relation, friendship, and cultural relationship among the Anyuawa people by upswinging their diversity from every different entity in our land through the methodology I have described above. He said he told them to stop spreading toxic thoughts among themselves. Olden days, it was not necessary to take provisions with you on trips to distant and nearby villages. No matter where one chooses to visit, one is always warmly welcomed and greeted brotherly as soon as one arrives. All one must do is introduce himself or herself briefly. In most cases, there are no complicated explanations once a person's background is cleared. The feeling of being in a foreign country will be gone. Through cooperation, unity, kindness, togetherness, and responsibility, the forefathers brought people together not through violence, but by fighting together for survival and maintaining the Anyuakland by helping each other in times of need. But on his second leg here, he discovered the community he loved was extremely divided and isolated, and some of them had accused him of sowing division. It sounds like pastor Okwier was right, I heard the same thing. In other words, pastor Okwier was accused of being one-sided by extremist groups from both sides of the villagization political spectrum, so his talk about unity and forgiveness did not resonate with anyone. Disgruntled elements in the diaspora are, in my opinion, responsible for misinformation, as well as disinformation at home. It is likely that they played a significant role in passing on unsubstantiated stories to authorities. To conclude, Pastor Okwier was a genuine preacher of God's word, unlike others he has always been a man of God. During our conversation, he predicted how he would die under unusual circumstances, he would be killed and burned at home. Pastor Okwier, foretold everyone that other people will die the same way as he did in broad daylight. His prophecies about a gloomy day coming have been fulfilled. I pray that his soul rests in peace. Amen
No comments:
Post a Comment